3 minutes short of an hour and a half, I finally got my build Firefox done.
This is on a Fedora 15 dual-core machine running Intel’s T4200 @ 2.00GHz with about 2.8 Gigs of RAM. An older processor, yes, but I still did expect the build to go a lot faster. I was fortunate enough though to get it working in the first try, thanks to the instructions provided here, and the run we did in class today.
Here are the steps I followed:
1. Install some pre-reqs as defined on the build page:
sudo yum groupinstall 'GNOME Software Development' sudo yum install autoconf213 glibc-static libstdc++-static yasm wireless-tools-devel mesa-libGL-devel
2. clone https://github.com/doublec/mozilla-central
3. create a file called .mozconfig in the mozilla-central directory with the following two lines:
ac_add_options --enable-debug ac_add_options --disable-optimize
4. build it!
make -j5 -f client.mk
6. find the firefox binary
find -iname firefox ./obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/dist/bin/firefox ./obj-x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/browser/app/firefox ./other-licenses/7zstub/firefox
There are two of them for some reason. I can’t tell what the difference is, if any – they are both 323.0KB; but I imagine this is simply an artifact of how the build targets are setup.
Anyway, upon running them, the following is what I see
Followed by the actual browser:
One sweet deal!
And now to move on to installing Fedora 16!